Our events will follow government mandated policy on public gatherings. We have other considerations too; our medical team is largely NHS professionals and we will only proceed with an event if we can achieve an excellent level of medical cover on event day. Relish attracts runners of all ages and abilities, and just as with our Cheddar 2019 wet weather route modifications, we have to consider what is appropriate for all runners, volunteers and the event team.
Race Specific Updates
During these uncertain times Relish and our event partners are going to keep things positive by providing a calendar of free events; community run times (we don't physically meet but we run together and share our pictures), home gym sessions, home strength and conditioning sessions and blog posts. The tone will always be positive, the C word will not be mentioned. We will be a refuge from the drama and we would love for you to come and join us and give yourself some time and space to look after yourselves.
Please follow us on social media, there will be some cross over, but not all content works across all platforms.
There is the potential for disruption to our event calendar so we want to get ahead of the curve and fill you in on those plans and timescales. We are speaking with the stake holders for each event in turn and will update the table below as we get through our list of events. We will try and schedule as many events as we can for 2020, but some venues are going to struggle to rebook us as they may have larger considerations to contend with, so we may have to go straight to a 2021 date. The whole event world is trying to do this all at once, it may take a little while, we thank you for your patience.
What should I do now - Please book in BOTH date options, the deferred 2020 and 2021 date to cover all the bases!
Status as of 24th March
Dates are still TBC but they are looking good at the moment.
NB. If you have booked tickets to the Top of the Gorge Festival at Cheddar Gorge, please await communication from the National Trust directly with regards to your booking, or visit their Facebook page.
Decision making timeline
Whilst planning for all our events typically begins 12 months out, the real ramping up for our larger summer events begins 4 weeks out. We will therefore review each event on a case by case basis 1 month in advance of each event. If the writing is on the wall, we will make a call as early as we can. If restrictions are lifting, we likely making a call if it will go ahead between 2 and 3 weeks out. We will leave it as late as is reasonable possible as we would love for each event to go ahead.
If an event is impacted then we will look at two options for the event;
1) Defer everyone to later in 2020.
We are currently trying to book in provisional dates for summer events in the autumn/winter as a contingency.
For people who can not make the new date there are two options;
(a) We will offer a FREE name change for a period of 10 days from announcement of the postponement.
(b) We will also provide a virtual event on the original race date and encourage everyone to get out and do their run (should it be appropriate) and share their pictures. Runners will have 10 days from the announcement of the postponement to switch to the virtual race. We will post out medals and mini challenge/challenge trophies upon receiving confirmation the virtual run has been completed which will be set in a window around the original event weekend. Event entrants will be contacted at the time with details.
2) Defer everyone to 2021
Should we not be able to re-book the event in 2020 then all entries will automatically roll over to the same event in 2021. All events are likely to be on the same weekend, worst case scenario one week earlier or one week later. Here is our provisional calendar.
Saturday 9th Jan - Skyline Night 10km & 5km
Saturday 13th Feb - Dark Horse 10km & 5km
Sunday 14th Feb - Pipley Wood Mud Bath 10km, 5km, 2km
Sunday 28th Feb - Two Tunnels 10km, 5km & Colourburst
Sunday 2nd May - Two Tunnels Half Marathon, 10km, 5km & Colourburst (or 9th May, whichever Bristol 10km isn't)
11th & 12th June - Cheddar Gorge weekend
27th June - Lacock Half Marathon, 10km, 5km, 1km
11th July - Two Tunnels Half Marathon, 10km, 5km, Colourburst
25th July - Bath Running Festival Marathon, Long Half, 10km, 5km, 1km
15th August - Two Tunnels 50km, Marathon, Half, 10km, 5km, Colourburst races
10th October - Eastnor Mud Bath 10km, 6km, 3km, 1.5km
All our Ts and Cs state the events are non refundable should an event be cancelled. We appreciate these times are very hard and many people, ourselves included as a 1.5 person business, working from the spare room in our house, are really, really going to feel the pinch. We are not going to be taking this time off between events, we will be planning for all the events as usual, paying our bills as a business and as individuals. During this time ourselves and our event partners are going to be busy working hard for you to try and provide some light relief from the unfolding events with our calendar of community events for you. See above.
We start paying out costs for each event 12 months out from each event. These payments are in the tens of thousands of pounds and include site hire, medals, rent, insurance and bookings with our suppliers. We ordered and paid for all our medals for 2020 in November and they are currently sat in our storage unit (see below) waiting to be united with their runners.
We have arranged for food to be delivered to Julian House over the coming months. They are a homeless charity in Bath, who regularly receive the left over food from our events. As donations in general are likely to drop, we are doing our bit for the wider community.
As a very small business we are doing what we can to support our wider community and our runners, to offer as many options as we can to deliver an event for you and we would like to thank you for your support in these uncertain times.
Relish Running -Tom, Helen & Relish dog.